What us creatives struggle with mostly, is pushing our creativity, constantly feeling the urge to create new things, trying out new styles, staying fresh, being different, standing out. Well, i totally feel you if you struggling from times to times. It really does put quite some pressure on our shoulders.
Although the best trick is to just stay true to yourself as i always say, sometimes, this is just not enough. You get tangled in your routine and it doesn’t feel right. A thing about me -that somehow i’m lucky about this- is that i get bored easily. I have to change styles all the time, i have to try different things, and i have to be working on different projects. But it’s not always easy to just reset your mind, reset your creativity and have new different ideas all the time.
My process to “reset” my brain and start thinking outside the box changes from times to times, which is why i keep updating this topic on the freelance life. Here’s what has been working for me lately.
1. PERFECTIONISM KILLS CREATIVITY
If you are one of those perfectionists like moi, stop it. Perfectionism is awesome on all kinds of aspects of the freelance designer but the design process itself. I bet you’ve heard the “perfect is boring”, well here you go. It’s something that took me ages to realise, but the more i tried to have everything by the book, beautiful, neat, inside the box, the more i was loosing the emotion in my work.
The design process should look messy, with soul, emotions, deep feelings. Not being afraid to make mistakes or afraid to produce something ugly. The times that i placed an element somewhere randomly, or somewhere i wouldn’t normally, where the times that these designs became my pride of outside box thinking. Some of you might be feeding of perfectionism on the other hand, it works different for all of us, but that’s what’s cool about the design process. It’s never the same.
We are what they make us. The more you have, the better. The more you push yourself out of your comfort zone, the better. Can you imagine going to a safari? Visiting Thailand, doing bungee jumping? Ok, i don’t want you to get killed, but can you imagine what a different person you would be, what a different way of thinking you’d have if you did one thing you’ve never done daily?
From taking a different route, taking a walk in the rain, staying late to watch the stars, concurring your fears. One step at a time, and you’ll feel fresh every day, with new ideas.
3. BUILD NEW SKILLS
The more you learn the better. You never know what can be handy, and i’ll tell you, everything will. Everything will change the way you design, the way you think. A book you might read, drawing skills, writing skills and hell, even if you take cooking lessons, there’s a possibility that it will give your design skills a twist.
4. QUICK PICK ME UPS
– Don’t burn yourself up. It’s better to take a 30 min break and do something that relaxes you, than struggle for 2 hours.
– Spice up your routine every now and then. To keep your brain happy and excited.
– Stop being negative. Instead, turn on some music to silence the little voices in your head. Choose to use your energy somewhere more productively.
– Read a kids book or watch a disney movie. They’re full of imagination and positive vibes. It works for me every single time.
– Sometimes, believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Alice knows what she’s talking about. Stay in bed and let your imagination run wild before you get back to the real world.